I am so sorry if I offend anyone with this…
BUT PLEASE, DO NOT SUPPORT SUSAN G KOMEN FOR ANY FUCKING REASON AT ALL.
There are WAY too many reasons to list here, but some of the biggest are that only 20% of proceeds actually GO to breast cancer awareness and research. THE REST GOES TO THE CEO AND ADVERTISING. If you do not believe me, do your research. You will find plenty of evidence for this.
Also, with the arrival of their new CEO, they have DEFUNDED places such as PLANNED PARENTHOOD, as well as many LGBT organizations which were once partnered with Komen, that offered similar services.
This affects ALL WOMEN (and yes, lesbian and transgender women are affected just the same as straight cisgendered women), because it causes issues when one is attempting to:
1. Acquire tools and resources required for safe sex (such as condoms/intrauterine devices/birth control) for VERY little or no charge
2. Acquire vaccinations such as Gardasil, for the prevention of HPV transmission for VERY little and very often no charge
3. Acquire STD testing //usually// for no charge
4. Acquire sexual reassignment hormone therapy for VERY little or no charge
5. Acquire “Plan B,” also known as the morning after pill for VERY little or no charge
6. Acquire a SAFE RESOURCE for abortions ((please think before you comment—- there are states which have made abortions illegal despite rampant cases of rape, incest, AND potential harm or death to the mother—- this means that the women carrying the undesired child, WHETHER YOU VIEW IT AS BEING ALIVE PRIOR TO THE SECOND OR THIRD TRIMESTER OR NOT, is usually left with little to no option but to perform a DANGEROUS procedure on herself)) for VERY little or no charge (in the event of donations made to the clinics)
7. Acquire unbiased and truthful sexual education that MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PROVIDED by the public school system (you may be surprised with exactly how few public schools will actually teach this) for NO CHARGE
8. Acquire assistance with going through with full pregnancy, including frequent health check-ups on mother and baby for VERY little or no charge
9. Acquire information and advice, as well as possible psychological, legal, and vital (food/shelter) resources concerning domestic violence, rape, drug use, depression, etc for NO CHARGE
10. Various other Women’s services (screenings for Cervical, Ovarian, &
Breast Cancer, Endometriosis, Infertility, and reproductive organ general health, AS WELL AS treatment options for these conditions in addition to treatments for symptoms of menopause and antibiotics for UTIs) for VERY little or no charge
Still not convinced that these services would do our communities much good? Look a little further into it and discover that these clinics also function as “normal” health clinics as well! You will find that there are even more services offered for little or no charge, such as:
Physical exams, including for employment and sports
Help with quitting smoking
High blood pressure screening
There are even resources for men, which include:
Checkups for reproductive or sexual health problems
Colon, prostate, and testicular cancer screenings
Condoms and vasectomy
Erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation services, including education, exams, treatment, and referral
General health care and routine physical exams
Jock itch exam and treatment
Male infertility screening and referral
STD testing and treatment
Urinary tract infections testing and treatment
I know this is an uncomfortable topic, but it is AN IMPORTANT ONE!! Please do your best to stay safe, and stay informed, everyone!